Distinction in Sustainability
Sayre’s Distinction in Sustainability provides a framework for students to gain an understanding of economic, social, and environmental responsibility on a regional, national, and global scale, and demonstrate that knowledge through practical means by getting involved in school and community organizations or through academic research. Course work and community involvement will integrate critical-thinking and appropriate scientific techniques while providing opportunities to conduct research and implement projects that advance sustainability on campus and in the local community. Students involved in this program will demonstrate leadership in these principles in both our school and larger community.
- AP Environmental Science
- AP Statistics
NOTE: Students must earn a minimum of a B- in these courses.
- Participation in at least one community service requirement per year (minimum of junior and senior year) that involves helping an environmental organization (local, regional, national, or international)
- Application to the Bluegrass Youth Sustainability Council (acceptance as a representative is the goal but not required)
- Active participation in the Upper School Green Team (minimum of junior and senior years)
- Design and conduct an independent project that promotes sustainability on campus or in our local community
- Present the results of your project, including qualitative and quantitative impacts as appropriate
- Or be actively involved in a local environmental organization and document that experience for presentation at school.