Established in the fall of 2007, the Green Council is composed of faculty members from each division along with students, parents, and members of maintenance, the Buttery, library, and gym. Our goal is to consider ways our campus can be more environmentally responsible and sustainable. Topics of discussion include: recycling and waste reduction, energy efficiency, and options for solar power generation, skylights (to reduce the need for lights during the day), and solar water heating. Meetings occur on campus once a month.
Current members of the council include:
- Food Services Director: Bill Barnes
- Maintenance and Grounds: Steve Guynn
- Chair of the Physical Education Department: Cindy Eason
- Technology Department Member: Alegra Feldman
- Lower School Teacher: Deborah Melear (Science)
- Middle School Parent: Sarah Cummins
- Middle School Student: Coby Cummins
- Upper School Students: All members of the Bluegrass Youth Sustainability Council - Greg Kimmerer, Lauren Thornberry, Aya Samadi
- Upper School Teacher: Debbie Wheeler (Environmental Science and Biology)
If you are interested in participating as a member of the council or have topics you think should be considered, please email Debbie Wheeler.