Sayre News

The Sound of Music Returns to Old Sayre
Posted 09/06/2019 03:26PM
The sound of music has returned to the halls and offices of Old Sayre thanks to the handsome ebony satin Steinway piano that returned last month. Known as the “Golden Years” of Steinway production, the piano has been totally restored (with genuine Steinway parts) to its 1894 glory by the Gist piano center in Louisville. The sound board and inner workings were built and/or restored by Steinway at their factory in Queens, NY.
This magnificent instrument was brought to the school by Mrs. Naomi Cheek, who taught at Sayre from 1927-1971. She often spoke that Ignacy Jan Paderewski (1860-1941) played this very piano. Mr. Paderewski, composer and Prime Minister of Poland, was invited to America by Mr. Steinway in 1890 and remained a close family friend.
Soon, recitals and performances will again take place in the back parlor thanks to this beautiful and wonderful “golden” antique!
Piano Piano

powered by finalsite