Kentucky United Nations Assembly, March 11-13, 2018, Louisville KY
Sayre students, Alex Mills (’19) and Wick Hallos (’19) were elected to statewide offices for 2019 as Deputy Secretary-General and President of the International Court of Justice at the Kentucky United Nations Assembly (KUNA) in Louisville, March 11-13, 2018. Continuing their tradition as a “Delegation of Excellence,” thirty-six Upper School students served in a variety of leadership roles during the mock UN and cultural assembly and were recognized for outstanding efforts in the following areas:
- Mohsin Akhtar (’18) led the 2018 conference as Deputy Secretary-General
- Greg Kimmerer (’18) served as 2018 president of the International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- Missy Hill (’19) acted as Under-Secretary of Legal Affairs
- Karuna Lakiani (’19) presided as a justice for the ICJ
- Isabel Pergande (’18) chaired Resolution Committees and Summits for the Leadership Team
- Wick Hallos (’19) won Outstanding Advocate for ICJ/Contentious Case as well as the ICJ Showcase
- Wick Hallos (’19), John Gunasar (’20) and Benjamin Waltman (’20) won Outstanding ICJ Team – Contentious Case
- Sierra O’Brien (’20) was recognized as an Outstanding Speaker
- Ren Talbert (’19) was awarded Sayre’s Outstanding Ambassador
- Resolution debated and passed in Summit and endorsed by the Secretary-General:
- Coby Cummins (’21), Levy Deckard (’21) and Alex Cofield (’21), representing Catalonia – A Resolution to Protect Democratic Referendums on Independence
- Resolution debated and passed in Summit:
- August Brooks (’20), Isabel Brunker (’20), Caroline Parker (’20) and J.P. Thomas (’20), representing Iran – An Appeal to Reduce Foreign Influence in the Domestic Politics of Iran
- Resolution presented and debated in Summit:
- Olivia Allran (’20), Laura Rich (’20), Sierra O’Brien (’20), and Hanae Yoshida (’20), representing Myanmar – Exchanging Nationwide Healthcare for Improved Legal Status of the Rohingya Minority Group
In addition, Sayre students participated in the full range of KUNA activities and programs, including:
- Ellie Webb (’18), Ren Talbert (’19) and Payton Grill (’19) represented Iran, Catalonia, and Myanmar on the Security Council
- Madeleine Bruelheide (’19) and Rohma Akhtar (’20) served as Parliamentarians for Committee and Summit debates.
- Calbi Brewer (’18), Claryce Eigel (’19), Kathleen Beebe (’20), Jonah Cashel (’20), Isaac Froehlich (’20), and Parker Stewart (’21) served as ambassadors for Iran and Myanmar, crafting cultural displays for the Global Village and Parade of Nations.
- Cassidy Hook (’19), Vanessa Jones (’20), Audrey Sams (’20), and Ben Trammel (’20) represented Catalonia in the Parade of Nations and performed a dance/skit on the International Stage calling for independence from Spain.
- Aya Samadi (’20) served as a photographer for Media Corps.
Finally, faculty advisor, Delia Pergande, was inducted into the Kentucky YMCA Advisors Hall of Fame for her seven years of service taking Sayre delegations to KYA and KUNA, something made possible by the assistance of faculty member, Linda Beck, who has served as a Y-advisor for over 20 years.
Congratulations Sayre on another successful KUNA!