Sayre School Acceptable Use Policy
Sayre School is pleased to offer students access to the advantages that the school's computer equipment and network provide. With a network account, users may store and retrieve school files, and print documents by way of the network file servers. Network account holders should be aware that network administrators may review files and communications to maintain system integrity and insure that users are using the system responsibly. Users should not expect that files stored on the school network will always be private.
While the school network provides access to the information resources available from internal and global networks, such access is a privilege and is provided for educational purposes only. Computer and network tools should be used responsibly, keeping in mind that all members of the school community must share these valuable resources.
The Internet is an exciting and interesting place to explore and we want to teach students to use it in an ethical, responsible manner. Because of the nature of the Internet, it is possible for users to access a wide variety of textual and graphical material, a portion of which is inappropriate for students. We believe that the best approach for dealing with information available through the school network consists of:
- directing students toward age-appropriate materials
- providing age-appropriate supervision of students as they explore the Internet
- helping students develop sound judgment in using computer technology
- disciplining those students who break the rules set out in the Sayre Acceptable Use Policy
This policy covers the use of technology equipment and the network that may be used by students to access on- and off-campus resources.
1. Parents and students should scroll down and read through the section Rules and Responsibilities of Users.
2. Parents and students should read through the Laptop Guidelines.
3. To gain network access, the Acceptable Use Form must be submitted.
4. After the second week in September, students without an Acceptable Use Policy on file will not be granted network access.
RULES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF USERS
1. Students are responsible for good behavior on the school computer network just as they are in the classroom. General school rules for behavior apply, including adherence to the Honor Code.
2. Use of computer equipment and the network should adhere to the educational mission of Sayre School.
3. In accordance with the school's harassment policy, inappropriate use of computer equipment and the school network is prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to:
Any action that causes or has potential to harm or offend others:
- Sending or displaying offensive messages or pictures
- Using obscene language
- Harassing, insulting, or attacking others
Any action that causes or has potential to harm the school network or network users:
- Utilization of another user's network account.
- Damaging or overloading computers, computer networks, including the uploading or creation of computer viruses or downloading unauthorized files
- Harming or destroying the data of another user
Intentionally wasting resources, including the creation of files for non-academic purposes, monopolizing the school’s Internet connection, and unnecessary printing
Activities deemed to be a security risk to the network, including obtaining unauthorized access to network directories and files
Any action that constitutes illegal or unethical use of the school network:
Violating copyright laws
- Employing the network for commercial purposes
- Inappropriate posting of personal information
Violation of the Sayre School Acceptable Use Policy will result in a loss of access and may result in other disciplinary action.